Enter a caption
I remember the phrase from years ago, “a member in good standing.” Maybe you do as well, but in the context of church life, what does it mean and why is it important? Thom Rainer, President and CEO of LifeWay, recently wrote on church membership. In his article, he gave some indicators of what being a disciple of Christ looks like. Dr. Rainer says that a good place for a new believer to start in the discipleship journey is knowing what is expected of him as a church member. So here goes…
- A member of a church should read the Bible daily.
- A member of a church should be involved in a Bible study group.
- A member of a church should be sharing his/her faith on a regular basis.
- A member of a church should be a generous giver.
- A member of a church should attend corporate worship each week.
- A member of a church should be involved in ministry and missions.
As Dr. Rainer says, “As church members engage in daily Bible reading, group Bible study, evangelism, corporate worship, ministry and missions, and giving – they will grow as disciples or followers of Christ. And then their churches will grow and become healthier churches.” So let’s all jump on board and become that kind of church member!
(adapted from Thom Rainer, Facts and Trends, Summer 2016, p.5)
Visit Mt. Airy Baptist Church at 8:30am or 11am on Sundays or online at .